- 12 ounces milk chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp water
- 1.5 coups marshmallow cream
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 51/2 cups powered sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon peppermint extract
- 10 ounce package soft caramel cubs
- 2 tbsp cream
- 1 pound chocolate candy coating, for dipping
- Chocolate Nougat
- Prepare and 8" x 8" pan by lining it with aluminum foil, and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- Melt 12 ounces of milk chocolate chips. This can be done in the microwave (stirring about every 45 second to prevent overheating), or using a double boiler.
- Add marshmallow cream and water to melted chocolate chips. Stir until the mixture is smooth. Poor into the prepared pan and smooth it into an even layer. Place the pan in the refrigerator to chill while you prepare the next layer.
- Peppermint Nougat:
- Add Condensed milk, 2 cups of powered sugar, and peppermint extract to a large mixing bowl. Mix everything on medium speed using a paddle attachment until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add more powered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough is stiff but still pliable
- Carefully Spread dough evenly on top of chilled chocolate nougat inside the 8" x 8" pan.
- Put pan in the freezer for no longer then 30 minutes while you prepare the next layer.
- Melt unwrapped caramels, along with cream, either in the microwave (stirring about every minute to prevent overheating), or in a double boiler.
- Stir mixture until smooth and well-mixed, allowing it to cool slightly, but remaining fluid.
- Pour caramel over the top of the Nougat layers in the pan, and spread it evenly.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours, or overnight, until completely set and firm.
- Chocolate Coating:
- Melt chocolate candy coating in microwave or with a double boiler. Stir every minute to prevent overheating.
- Stir melted chocolate to allow it to cool slightly.
- Putting it Together:
- Remove pan from refrigerator and pull up on the foil to remove candy from pan.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the candy in half, and then each half into five pieces (or smaller pieces if desired).
- Line a baking sheet with foil and set it nearby.
- Use two forks or dipping tools to submerge one bar at a time into the melted chocolate, caramel side facing up.
- Place coated bars onto prepare baking sheet.
- Place bars in the refrigerator for 10 minutes or until chocolate coating sets.